Under this heading we must include all those activities that take off from farming and which help to make it profitable. As is well known, it is hard to turn grass into money, and quite a few detours are required along the way. We at Horsell’s Farm Enterprise have a small but growing herd of cows, currently raised for beef, but with the prospect of entering the milk market down the way. We make hay and silage, including hay from our wildflower field which is suitable for those who are raising animals according to the Soil Association’s criteria for organic farming. We keep horses for hire, and are situated at the heart of the Vale of White Horse hunt’s Wednesday country, which provides an exciting day of trail hunting in country that our horses know well and can negotiate without trouble. Our local food business is at the heart of our farming enterprise. Athelstan Farm Foods collects products from the farms round about and sells them to hotels and restaurants in the region.
It has a growing place in the revival of our local economy, which was for several centuries a cheese-based economy, with the Wiltshire varieties well known and appreciated across the country. Our farmers produce abundant milk, and some of the young members of farming families have begun to make this milk into cheese according to the traditional recipes. We help to coordinate this activity by distributing the product, and AFF has in this way become an important link between our farming community and the outside world.
Farming and Assosiated Services at Sunday Hill Farm:
- Our wonderful haylage from our bumper crop of grass is available to buy at £30 a bale. Large round bales of wildflower rich hay from our stewardship field can be purchased too at £20 per bale. Buyer to collect.
- We have recently purchased Horsells Barn, a large agricultural building that would suit a variety of uses. We are able to provide storage facilities, or workshop space. We have 2 units that are equipped with electricity and water. We are able to offer a flexible package at a very reasonable cost. For further enquires, do not hesistate to get in touch
- A private equestrian yard to let. A lovely 6 box yard, with a secure tack room and wash bay. Excellent off road hacking, lorry parking and in the heart of VWH & Beaufort hunt country. £500 pcm
- Equestrian livery - We are able to offer short term, flexible livery packages here at Sunday Hill Farm. Large boxes, all year turnout and transport if required.
- Cheese from Athelstan Farm Foods
- Beef to order. We have a very small beef unit with the potential to expand in the future. Outdoor reared, traditional British beef stock looked after by our wonderful neighbours Angela and Geoffrey Vines. If you are interested in purchased this quality meat, please get in touch.
- If you are interested in visiting Sunday Hill Farm, we are able to offer guided farm tours and countryside restoration talks.
- If you have any questions or queries on any of the above please do not hesitate to get in touch via our contact page.